Sunday, November 18, 2007

Response

Do you think that sales people have any major impact on the whether or not a business flourishes or fails?

In Response to Robert's question I think that sales people are having a smaller role in modern shopping because there are more consumers. I feel as though the average store is becoming larger and larger and most stores do not hire enough competent employees for this size. I do think that sales people have a larger role than the article seems to imply. I agree with the majority of the points made about store design and that it plays an enormous role in how long consumers spend in a store and whether or not they enter. I think that when it comes to actual selling of a product however, the salesman is still a very important figure and that a good salesman will not only sell multiple articles but that a good salesman stand out much like a well designed or distinctive store. I would agree with Robert and say that the salesman still does the majority of the work in making a sale.

The author explains that this is because we tend to eat, and pick up food on tables, but why are these two actions related? When we sit down to eat, do we poke and prod our food before consuming in the same way we evaluate a shirt or pair of jeans for comfortability? What is it about touch that is so critical in our evaluation of a product?

In response to Ezra's question I would say that I disagree with the assumption that we touch things on tables because it is similar to food. I think that we touch table displays because they seem more inviting. It is more like our home in that clothes are not hung up. I feel more comfortable touching those displays because it is similar to my room at home where things lay all over the place strewn out. When clothing is on a rack it seems very official and uninviting. In response to the second portion of Ezra's question I would say that touch is critical because it has the ability to make everyday life better. People want to wear jeans or shirts that not only look good, but feel good as well. When people find a comfortable product they are more likely to wear it with greater frequency and they want to find this type of product in the store so they feel and try products on.

No comments: